Maker Faire Pittsburgh Announces 200+ Makers for October 10 & 11 Event
(PITTSBURGH) September 10, 2015—Maker Faire Pittsburgh is proud to announce the makers who will exhibit, demonstrate, perform and present at the Maker Faire Pittsburgh on Saturday, October 10, and Sunday, October 11, 2015, on Allegheny Commons on Pittsburgh’s North Side.
A broad spectrum of regional makers ranging from local roboticists to hackers to kid inventors answered the Call for Makers open application process this past summer. Using new technologies (and old technologies in new ways), interactivity, innovation and creativity, they will come together to create the largest celebration of do-it-yourself invention from New York (site of the World Maker Faire) to Detroit (site of Maker Faire Detroit.)
There will be something for all ages to do, see, learn and make at Maker Faire Pittsburgh! Exhibits range from high-tech to low, amateur to professional, miniature to large scale, and practical to ridiculous. Maker Faire will include:
- Hands-on workshops on subjects ranging from coding to concrete
- Make-and-take activities using recycled materials, vinyl cutters, electronics and more
- An education zone featuring workshops on the importance of STEAM in education
- Groundbreaking startups from across the region
- The Market @ The Faire, the place to buy locally made wares from jewelry, home goods, soap and more
- Presentations, performances, food and more!
Exhibits will include:
- Drones that map potholes and aid in disaster relief
- Portable Wind Turbine
- Make Your Own Chain Mail
- Cigar Box Guitar, Amps and Artworks
- Build Your Own Microscope
- Dry Ice Rockets
- Mini Sumo Robot
- Talking Hat
- Blacksmithing Demonstrations
- Electric Vehicle Design and Fabrication on a Laughable Budget
- Moving Gear Jewelry Making
- Great American Horn Machine, the world’s loudest musical instrument
A complete Program Guide will be available in late September.
For more information on Maker Faire Pittsburgh, including volunteering opportunities, buying tickets, directions and more, visit www.makerfairepittsurgh.com.
About Maker Faire Pittsburgh
- The inaugural Maker Faire Pittsburgh will be held on Saturday, October 10, and Sunday, October 11, 2015, on Pittsburgh’s Northside. Venues include Nova Place, Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh, Buhl Community Park and former Carnegie Free Library of Allegheny.
- Chevron and Make: are the presenting sponsors of Maker Faire Pittsburgh with major support from The Grable Foundation and others.
- Maker Faire Pittsburgh is produced by the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh under a license agreement with Maker Media, Inc. and in partnership with Faros Properties, Innovation Works and the City of Pittsburgh. Collaborators inlcude Hack Pittsburgh, Assemble, TechShop Pittsburgh and Urban Innovation 21.
What is Maker Faire?
Called the Greatest Show (& Tell) on Earth, Maker Faire is part county fair, part science fair, and part something entirely new. As a celebration of the Maker Movement, it’s an all-ages showcase of invention, creativity, and resourcefulness. Maker Faire gathers together tech enthusiasts, crafters, educators, tinkerers, food artisans, hobbyists, engineers, science clubs, artists, students, and entrepreneurs. Makers come to show their creations while attendees get a glimpse the future and find the inspiration to become Makers themselves.
The original Maker Faire was held in San Mateo, CA, in 2006. As evidence of the growing “maker movement,” there are now more than 100 community-based, independently produced Maker Faires taking place around the globe.