To provide innovative and inclusive museum experiences that inspire kindness, joy, creativity and curiosity for all learners. We forge connections with artists, community partners and neighbors to work on behalf of children, youth and families.
To transform education.
Learning We believe people of all ages can benefit from different types of learning experiences. It is important to try new things, even things that may fail, since success and failure are both great teachers.
Experimentation We are audacious in our approach to taking risks, investing in new and different ideas, exploring new places, and trying out new things. We do this through prototyping and pioneering new ways.
Partnerships We aim to be an inclusive and welcoming partner. We believe true partnerships, based on shared values, respecting differences and collaboration can create deeper relationships.
Diversity We strive to provide an environment of inclusion and respect for visitors, staff and partners that is inclusive and equitable, and we believe that this is a journey that must continue, not a destination with an endpoint.
Kindness We strive to be our most kind, authentic, versions of ourselves, grounded in humility and gratitude.
Good Design, Art, and Artists We believe a commitment to quality design and attention to aesthetics creates functional, welcoming community spaces. We also believe that good, smart design can drive better practices in sustainable operations.
Reflection and Improvement As an organization we must take time to understand our impact, and to learn where we can adapt and improve.
More than 307,000 visitors annually
6,193 member families
5,946 senior citizens admissions
34,420 children visited on field trips
12,720 of those children were from Title One Schools
*Fiscal Year 2019
North Side Neighborhood
City of Pittsburgh
Surrounding counties (Armstrong, Beaver, Butler, Lawrence, Washington, Westmoreland)
The Museum shares its space with the following organizations who work with or on behalf of children:
In the Children's Museum:
- Reading is FUNdamental Pittsburgh
- Head Start/Pre-K classrooms for the Pittsburgh Public Schools
- SLB Radio Productions (family radio program)
- Manchester Academic Charter School
- SLB Radio Productions (recording pod)
- Allies for Children (child advocacy group)
- University of Pittsburgh's Center for Learning in Out-of-School Environments (UPCLOSE)
- Carnegie Mellon University Entertainment Technology Center
- Carnegie Mellon University Master of Arts Management (MAM)
72 full-time jobs
108 part-time jobs
$8.4M operating budget
*Fiscal Year 2018
For Children's Museum of Pittsburgh
- USA Today's 10Best Museums for Families Readers Poll, 2017 & 2020
- Parents magazine’s 15 Best Children’s Museums list, 2015
- Kiwi magazine’s 6 Green Children’s Museums to Visit, 2015
- Parents magazine’s 10 Best Children’s Museums list, 2011
- Institute of Museum and Library Services National Medal, 2009
- Four-star rating from Charity Navigator - the highest rating - in FY 2008, 2005, 2004
- Western PA Environmental Award, 2008
- Rudy Brunner Award for Urban Design Excellence, Gold Medalist, 2007
- National Historic Trust, Preservation Honor Award for Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, 2006
- Silver LEED Recognition for Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, 2006
- American Institute of Architects, National Honor Award, 2006
- Association of Science and Technology Center, Leading Edge Award for Business Practices, 2005
- American Association of Museum, Gold Muse Award for Websites (www.pittsburghkids.org), 2005
- Association of Children's Museum, Promising Practice Award for design partnership with UPCLOSE, 2004
- Best of Design for Adaptive Reuse, The Architect's Newspaper, 2020
- Dezeen Awards, Civic and Cultural Interior of the Year, 2020
- American Institute of Architects, Los Angeles Typology: Adaptive Reuse/Renovation/Historical Preservation, 2020
- American Institute of Architects Pennsylvania, Honor Award for Interior Architecture, 2020
- American Architecture Award, Museums and Cultural Buildings, Chicago Anthenaeum: Musuem of Architecture and Design, 2020
- Gold LEED Recognition, Green Building Alliance, 2020
- American Institute of Architects Pittsburgh, Silver Medal for Outstanding Architecture, 2020
- Pennsylvania Museums, Special Achievement Award, 2020
- Architizer A+ Award, Cultural/Museum Design, 2020
- Pennsylvania Historic Trust, Preservation Construction Award, Rehabilitation, 2020
- Australian Institute of Architects International Award for Heritage Architecture and Award for Sustainable Architecture, 2020
- Green Building Alliance, Vanguard Award, 2019
- Visionary Place, ULI Pittsburgh Placemaking Awards of Excellence, 2018