Visit our multimedia art studio to let your creative vision loose and learn new art forms through open-ended art activities and artist-led workshops.
New! Youth Workshop Series
The Youth Workshops Series is designed for youth ages 10 and up to have an in-depth experience with a variety of Studio and MAKESHOP activities. Please check the calendar to view workshops in the Youth Workshop Series.
Activities offered in our multimedia studio for visitors of all ages include:
- Painting at kid-sized easels (smocks help minimize the creative impact)
- Making a free-form clay sculpture using a variety of shaping tools
- Creating a screen-printed poster using cut newspaper to define the shapes and words you ink onto paper at silkscreen beds
*Please note, these activities may be switched with different ones as we prototype new ideas.
Check the Calendar of Events for special Studio activities every month, such as:
- Learning new art forms and creating new artworks with artists in residence
- An accessible-to-all pottery wheel, which can be lowered, raised and adjusted for use by younger children, children sitting on adults' laps, left-handed users and people using wheelchairs and other mobility assistance devices
The accessible-to-all pottery wheel was made possible by support from the Kevin R. and Tracy Ann Walsh Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation, the MAK Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation and the Vitasta Bazaz and Sheen Sehgal Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation in Memory of Dr. Kuldeep.
The Art Here
- more light by Dick Esterle
- Seated Woman in an Armchair by Richard Diebenkorn
- Black Beard by Jim Dine
- Andy at 12 by Chuck Kim and Randy Nelson
- Capriccio by Robert Motherwell
- An obscured neutral moment (prototype #5 for Doug), #1 of 3, by Rick Gribenas, above the Studio entryway
The design of the Studio incorporates many sustainable features, including:
- Original wood and terrazzo floor
- Natural light
- Historic stained glass windows
Related Field Trips
Use the downloadable file below for tips for before and after your visit to the Studio.