Featured Programs & Event
All hail the pickle!
This special (but often overlooked) food pops up as a garnish to burgers, hot dogs and picnics all the time. But do you know the history of the pickle, why it's served with your most beloved meals, or how each and every pickle is made?
- Learn from nationally recognized food educators and professional fermenters from Fermentation on Wheels about the magical backstory of the common pickle. Sample some of its fermented cousins - sauerkraut, kimchi, yogurt, kombucha and more.
- Meet local fermenters from renowned Pittsburgh restaurants Grit & Grace and Legume, and sample some of their tasty creations.
- Create art in the Studio using the ancient process of dying fabric with fermented indigo
- What would YOU want to save in a jar? Draw your wildest pickle dreams in the Studio!
- Learn about Pittsburgh's place in the history of the pickle from the Heinz History Center... and even receive a legendary pickle pin.
Fermentation on Wheels is a community of gastronomic nomads with a mission to eat thoughtfully, teach fermentation and connect people with their local food source. They are traveling the country by school bus to harvest produce alongside small-scale farmers, hold workshops on the importance of fermentation and micro-agriculture and inspire.