Solar Concert Series
Featured Programs & Events
Enjoy free live music outside in the sunshine at Buhl Community Park at Allegheny Square. Bring your lunch and enjoy family-friendly concerts on a solar-powered sound system Wednesdays at 12:15 p.m. in July and August. This year's lineup and links where you can learn more about each artist/band:
- 7/11 – Joy Ike - Ike is a skillful singer and pianist, with music that blends soul, pop and jazz. She has been voted City Paper’s “Best Solo Artist” four years in a row, and previously performed at the notable Lilith Fair
- 7/18 – Musuhallpa: Music of the Andes – Experience Peru with this electrifying Peruvian folk ensemble and native wind, string and percussion instruments.
- 7/25 – Big Snow Big Thaw - Big Snow Big Thaw is two thirds Pennsylvania bred and one third Kentucky fed. They’ll be bringing their own brand of rootsy and americana originals for banjo, guitar and percussion, coupled with lively and beautiful vocal harmonies.
- 8/01 – EMay – You may know EMay from her work with the Saturday Light Brigade Radio Show, or from her performances as co-founder of the fire arts performance group Steel Town Fire. But her powerhouse vocals and bluesy, soulful, acoustic folk style, truly illustrate why she has been dubbed ‘the renaissance queen of Pittsburgh’.
- 8/08 – Members of the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra – Enjoy live mandolins led by composer/arranger/teacher/director Charley Rappaport, and including Gordon Neidinger, a 17-year old mandolin virtuoso!
- 8/15 – Pittsburgh CAPA 6-12 Jazz Trio – Experience some of Pittsburgh’s rising stars, with the prestigious Pittsburgh School for the Creative and Performing Arts! Jazz Ensemble with music director and flugelhornist Paul Thompson.
- 8/22 – Sidewalk String Band – Comprised of three talented folk artists, Sidewalk String Band is known for danceable bluegrass and old-timey tunes, through fiddle, guitar, mandolin (and other various instruments) with rousing vocal harmonies, lead by Jessica Spieser-Landes, of Landes String Studio in Swissvale, PA.
- 8/29 – Nameless in August - Folk-rock duo Zach Rock and Jason Buzon make up Nameless in August- a local pairing of banjo and guitar, steered by strong vocals. It has been said of them, that “Every band is worth seeing once, but this band is worth seeing twice”. Don’t miss your chance!
See video of past concerts and learn more details on the Solar Concert Series website.
The 5th Annual Solar Concert Series is a project of the New Hazlett Theater, The Saturday Light Brigade and the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh.