Sensory Friendly Early Open
Sensory Friendly Program
We’re opening Thomas & Friends: Explore the Rails early for our friends with sensory sensitivities.
Full steam ahead to the Island of Sodor! Get ready to explore with Thomas, Percy, Gordon and other familiar faces and places from the popular series. This exhibit combines exciting play opportunities with hands-on STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) concepts. You can:
- Explore the inner workings of an engine
- Take pictures with a giant Thomas the Tank Engine model
- Use oversized tools to help Percy fix his wobbly wheel to get back on track
- Put on a conductor's uniform to organize the train schedule and sell tickets at Knapford Station
- Visit Sodor Steamworks to repair train parts and learn how a steam engine works
- Use problem-solving skills to sort and fit freight onto the train car
- Journey to the Island of Sodor at a large-scale train table
- Explore a sensory wall and age-appropriate engines
- Celebrate Thomas the Tank Engine at a retrospective celebrating its rich history, including models from the series, television clips, original images and manuscripts
Program participants will have early access to the exhibit from 9:00 - 10:00 AM before the Museum opens to the public at 10:00 AM. The fun then continues with Bubble Device #5 in the Theater as a private play space from 10:00 am - 11:00 am.
Program fee includes Museum admission for the whole day.
Limited availability. Pre-registration required.