Children Museum of Pittsburgh is proud to be ranked 2nd in Best Children’s Museums in the USA TODAY’s 10Best Readers’ Choice Awards! To celebrate this honor, the Children’s Museum – along with The Andy Warhol Museum and the Heinz History Center – will offer free general admission to visitors every operating day in August. (And let’s hear it for Pittsburgh, the only city with three different museums ranked in the top five of these awards!)
The 3 for Free program is supported by a grant from RAD – the Allegheny Regional Asset District.
Please note: Free admission does not apply to group visits. See Groups section below for details.
Below are some guidelines for visiting the Children’s Museum and MuseumLab this August:
The 3 For Free offer is only for general admission tickets. Group visits, special events, parking and store or cafe purchases are not included in this offer.
There is a limit of nine (9) general admission tickets per reservation.
We require one chaperone 18 years or older per every five (5) visitors ages 2 – 17.
We recommend visitors reserve tickets for August in advance.
Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh is open Mon – Sun, 10:00 am – 5:00 pm.
MuseumLab, our building for youth 10+ right next door to the Children’s Museum, is open Mon – Sun, Noon – 5:00 pm, through August 27.
- The 3 for Free admission offer in August does not apply to group visits.
- If you arrive with a group, you will be required to have one adult (18+) chaperone for every five children.
- Your group may be asked to split up due to capacity limits in the museum.
- Groups who wish to visit the Children’s Museum should contact [email protected] to make a request.
parking & directions
Parking in the Children’s Museum lots is $5 for members and $7 for nonmembers.
Overflow parking at Nova Place (purchase exit tickets at the museum) and on-street parking is also available.
museum capacity & overflow
We anticipate busy days in August which may affect admission. If we reach museum capacity, entry to the Children’s Museum may be limited or paused at times.
Here are some nearby places you may also enjoy. We recommend checking their websites for hours and information:
- The Andy Warhol Museum – also offering free admission in August – located at 117 Sandusky St (1/2 mile away)
- Heinz History Center – also offering free admission in August – located at 1212 Smallman St (1.5 miles away)
- National Aviary – just a short walk from the Children’s Museum
- Mattress Factory – located at 509 Jacksonia St (1/2 mile away)
- Randyland – located on 1501 Arch St (1/2 mile away)
- Moonshot Museum – located at 1016 N Lincoln Ave (1 mile away)
- Carnegie Science Center – located at 1 Allegheny Ave (1.3 miles away)
All visitors must use the main entrance.
All museum rules will be enforced to the best of our ability. Guests who do not follow museum rules may be asked to leave.
Adults (18 years or older) are responsible for supervising the members of their party at all times.
Due to the expected crowds, please consider leaving strollers at home. Exhibit areas may be crowded and the museum has limited space for stroller storage.
Members will enjoy exclusive discounts, events and benefits throughout the month of August. Keep an eye out for our Member Newsletter every Monday for weekly updates. If you have any questions, please contact our Membership Liaison at [email protected]. All memberships purchased in August will become active on September 1, 2023.
Throughout the month of August, donate diapers at the Children’s Museum to benefit the Western Pennsylvania Diaper Bank. Thank you!