Rube Goldberg™: The World of Hilarious Invention! Exhibit
This new exhibit showcases Pulitzer Prize winning humorist and inventor Rube Goldberg™’s iconic contraptions and celebrates his imaginative techniques, humorous storytelling and inventive skills.
Like Rube Goldberg, visitors can activate and create crazy chain-reaction contraptions that use everyday objects to complete simple tasks in the most overcomplicated, inefficient and hilarious ways possible!
- Sharpen a real pencil using a 3D version of Rube Goldberg’s “A Simple Way to Sharpen a Pencil”®
- See a Rube-inspired way to paint a picture in the 3D version of Ed Steckley’ s “An Epic Way to Paint a Picture”®
- Move balls and ramps to trigger chain reaction machines in Wall Machines, then figure out how they work by resetting each part
- Be inspired by Rube Goldberg’s drawing techniques to create your own hilarious cartoon in the Art Studio
- Pull ropes to start a series of musical chain reactions in the large-scale sound animation Music Machine
- Step into one of Rube's iconic wearables, “Self-Operating Napkin Machine.”®, for a one-of-a-kind photo opp
- And much more!
This exhibit was created by the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh in partnership with the Heirs of Rube Goldberg.
Made possible by underwriting support from the Fisher Fund of The Pittsburgh Foundation and the Richard King Mellon Foundation.